The Passavant Memorial Homes Foundation (PMHF) Community Service Scholarship was created in memory of Jamie Ellenberger. Jamie was a young man who Passavant Memorial Homes (PMH) was privileged to serve. He thrived in his community despite adversity. Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Jamie successfully transitioned from living in a state facility to becoming an active member of his new residential community at PMH.
While part of PMH’s community residential program, Jamie was an enthusiastic and contributing member of society, both in community-based activities and in our vocational training program. His positivity and perseverance were always paired with kindness and a smile. After his passing, this scholarship was established in his honor, so his legacy can continue to make a lasting impact in the community in which he loved being a part of.
Through our scholarship program, we hope to encourage local students to pursue a post-secondary education as well as take a renewed look into their community and to find unique opportunities to become a part of its furtherance. We want our youth to recognize that community service can provide opportunities to acquire valuable life skills and knowledge as well as provide a service to those who need it most. We want to show students that their actions can have a lasting and a positive impact on our society at large. Community service can teach compassion and acceptance; it can foster cultures of inclusion and advocacy; it can build positive, lifelong relationships that can ultimately strengthen our communities. We want our next generation of leaders to experience that.
This scholarship awards $10,000 in funding for post-secondary education tuition costs to a high school senior who exemplifies the commitment of PMHF and the late Jamie Ellenberger to serving and improving their community.
- One (1) $10,000 award annually, granted to one (1) recipient
- Candidate must be a graduating high school senior in 2022 – 2023 school year
- Candidate must be graduating from a high school in one of the following western Pennsylvania counties: Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Bedford, Butler, Cambria, Clarion, Crawford, Erie, Fayette, Greene, Indiana, Jefferson, Lawrence, Mercer, Somerset, Venango, Washington, or Westmoreland
- Candidate must be qualified and planning to attend an accredited two- or four-year post-secondary education program
- Candidate must complete the application form in its entirety, including all letters, references, and essay information
- If requested, the candidate must be available to participate in an interview with the PMHF’s Scholarship Review Committee
Applications are now being accepted for the 2022-2023 scholarship. To learn more about the scholarship and the application process, please click the image below to access the scholarship application. All applications must be received by 3:00pm on Friday, April 28th, 2023, so apply today!
Should you have any additional questions or need more information, please email PMHFoundation@passavant.org.